I thought it’d be nice to do a post on unconventional nicknames for common (or maybe uncommon, depending) names. It might help out anyone who loves Elizabeth but not Beth, Margaret but not Maggie. I’ll just make a list, since it would be way too long to talk about each one.
- Sophia -Fee, Fifi, Fia
- Olivia -Vivi, Via, Livvy, Liv
- Abigail -Gail
- Elizabeth -See here.
- Samantha -Mandy
- Sarah -Sadie, Sally
- Catherine/Katherine -See here. Also, Cassie.
- Alexandra -Sandra, Sandy.
- Amelia -Millie, Mia, Lia, Amy
- Mary -Polly, Molly
- Michelle -Chelle, Mickey, Mimi
- Charlotte -Lotte, Lottie
- Rebecca -Reba, Bex
- Miranda -Mira, Mandy, Mimi, Mindy
- Margaret -See here.
- Jacob -Cob, Jay
- Michael -Mickey, Mick, Mitch
- Christopher -Topher, Kit, Kip
- Anthony -Tony (most little ones I know are “just Anthony”
- Andrew -Andy, Drew, Ander (ditto Anthony)
- Alexander -Sandy, Sander, Xander, Alec
- Nicholas -Cole, Klaus, Nico
- Kevin -Vin
- Evan -Van
- Cameron -Ron
- Thomas -Tam, Tip, Top
- Connor -Connie (I think this is dashing on a boy)
- Charles -Chuck, Chaz, Chase, Chip
- Julian -Jules
- Sebastian -Seb, Baz, Sebbo
- Edward -Ward, Ned, Ted
Well, there you go. All of the original names are in the top 200, and I tried to provide nicknames that are at least a shade fresher than the usual nickname or the name itself, but I might be wrong. Also, the spellcheck is telling me Rebecca is wrong and that it should be Rebbecca. It’s trendy. 😛
What do you make of this list?